Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 13th to 19th

Weekly Summary
Ran about 65-70 miles this week in 7 runs. Only one very light workout.

Saturday
Had a 6am flight out of LA and back to Missoula, so I was up at 4am after getting to bed at about 12:30. It was an amazingly short trip as I was only in LA for 12 hours. I slept for about 3 hours in once I arrived in Missoula then did about a 16 mile long run from about 8:30 to 10:30pm.

Friday
Ran the 3000 meter steeplechase at the OXY High Performance meet. The two weeks leading up to this race had been very busy and my training was almost non existent. However, I still had a feeling my race would go ok. My flight left Missoula and arrived into LAX at about noon. I tried to go check into the motel room early at about 2pm, but the room wasn't ready until about 4 so I had to hang out out and about. The 17 mile drive to the track took about 90 minutes because it was Friday afternoon in LA. Anyway, once I was at the track and I heard the rabbitt in the steeple was going to run the first mile at 8:19 pace, I decided the back of the pack would be a pretty good spot for me for the first mile. I came through the mile at about 4:32 which is 8:32 pace. I started passing people the last 1200 even though I wasn't speeding up. I ended up finishing with a new PR of 8:30 in 7th place overall after passing two people the last 70 meters. The time also qualified me for my third Olympic Trials in the steeplechase because it is under the Olympic Trials 'A' Standard. It was surprising I was able to run a PR because I didn't feel I ran all that well, it was just a fast race. This is the 3rd steeple in a row that I have felt afterward that I could run faster. I have gone from 8:40 to 8:35 to 8:30. Hopefully I can keep that progression going! Afterward I did about a 4 mile easy run. Anyway, here is a video of the race:



Watch more video of 2012 USATF Oxy High Performance Meet on flotrack.org


Thursday
Easy run of 6 miles in the morning. Drove 3 hours to Missoula in the evening to catch my Allegiant flight to LA on Friday morning. This will be the first time I have ever flown and raced in the same day. Laying in bed on Thursday night it was hard to wrap my head around that I would be racing the next day in LA. Was a little nervous and took me a while to get to bed, but did get some pretty good sleep.

Wednesday
Easy Run of 12 miles. Finally feeling normal again after the busy and irregular schedule of last week.

Tuesday
Had a dental appointment in the morning and had to have a root canal. So, after that, I was not feeling great, but I did a couple of 1200s in 3:24 just so I did a little something before the race on Friday. The mileage for the day was about 7 miles.

Monday
Warmed up for a workout, but was really not feeling great, just really fatigued. Decided to wait until tomorrow to do a workout. All in all, this run was somewhere between 8 and 11 miles.

Sunday
Easy run of 9 to 11 miles very late at night. Ran late at night again because there was a recruit in town. This makes it 4 out of 5 days where I ran between sometime between 9:30pm and 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment